Last Updated On: August 11, 2018
The other night my girlfriend and I went to Happy Place. We let loose, acted silly, and just had a lot of fun. If you have no idea what I’m talking about Happy Place is a pop-up that’s currently happening in Chicago, now through the beginning of September.
It’s a bright, colorful, sparkly, confetti filled space for you to explore, walk around, and take all the Instagram-worthly photos you want. Happy Place also inspires you to get really creative with all your photos. Although I’m not the best at taking photos, I try to have a good eye and I love being creative, so an evening at Happy Place was just the thing for me. The best part is you don’t have to take these photo seriously. They are all light-hearted and fun.
“Be authentically you!”
As my girlfriend and I walked around at snapped photos at everything we could. It kind of got me thinking… What is my Happy Place? In a world of social media and the constant comparing of others, I think it’s sometimes difficult to figure out what makes you happy. It’s easy to get caught up and feel lost. I’m totally guilty of it. In the past, even the recent past, I have felt like I’m not experiencing as much as others, I’m not building my own brand fast enough, I have so much marketing to do for my book, I’m not traveling as much, I’m not… ugh, you get the point, the list goes on and on.
“You will be exactly as HAPPY as you decide to be”
But instead of feeling bad about myself and all the things I’m not doing. Instead, I’m focusing on all the things that make me HAPPY. I am my own person and I need to be proud of all my own accomplishments, and be happy about all the great things I do have. I’m happy that I have great friends and family around me. Grateful that I married my best friend. Thankful that I have my health. As for social media, it will probably always be a part of life but I’m trying to embrace it in a positive way. Recently I’m been following others that inspire me and I try to post on my own social media photos that are fun, light-hearted and of my life as I love to capture it. I love to experience everything I can throughout Chicago and so I try to show that in my own photos.
I truly believe that social media is a balance. I love posting and taking photos, looking at other people’s content, reading my favorite blogs, etc. But I’m also trying to live more in own my life and enjoy my own experiences. I have a lot to be HAPPY about and I should appreciate that more.
“It’s the little things in life”
I thought I would also share with you a list of things that help to refocus me and make me feel HAPPY. I’ve also created a HAPPY checklist that you can download and save. Maybe it will help you put down your phone and feel refocused too!
- Going to see a movie. I’m such a huge movie person. I love classic movies, 80’s movies and lately, I’ve been enjoying independent movies the most. We have the independent movie theater by our house and I feel like these movies just inspire me so much. Did you know my husband and I see a movie almost every Friday night? We have been doing this since we started dating ten years ago!
- Checking out a new coffee shop. I love spending time in coffee shops. My new favorite is Limitless Coffee in the West Loop. I won’t say much about it, you just have to go for yourself.
- Walking the Lakefront. I love being by the water. Water makes me feel happy and content. Whenever I feel really stressed, I feel so much better after a long walk along Lake Michigan.
- Relaxing with a good book. I love getting lost in a good book. It’s like all your troubles just go away. I light a white tea candle (my favorite), grab my blanket, and I’m good to go. I’m currently working my way through my Chicago Author’s Summer Reading List.
- Cooking a new recipe, having a glass of wine, and listen to Jazz. This is a fun date night, it’s so relaxing, with the Jazz music playing you kind of feel like you are somewhere fancy.
- Taking my dog Bella to the park. Nothing makes me smile more than seeing her so happy and playing. It’s the highlight of her day and I love that I can do that for her.
- Cleaning. I’m kinda OCD about my house. I love my home to be spotless at all times. I clean home makes me feel happy and proud of my home. It might sound crazy but it relaxes me. While I’m cleaning I’m usually doing my best thinking. I let my mind wander and that’s when I usually come up with my best ideas.
- Getting a pedicure. I feel so happy after getting my toes done. I honestly don’t get my nails done much and I don’t go all the time so it’s fun to treat myself. I bring my book and just relax.
- Going shopping. Yep, it’s true. I really love to shop. Especially shopping with the girls. It’s so much fun!
- Planning a fun experience for my hubby or friends. Let’s be honest, my whole blog is basically about how to experience Chicago. So it’s not a surprise that I love to plan out fun experiences for my friends and my husband.
Download and save my FINDING YOUR OWN HAPPY PLACE checklist
Free Download: Save a copy of this checklist I made:
Finding Your Own Happy Place